29 September 2012

NYX Eyeshadow Palettes (2/2)

Hey Everyone! :)

This is the second post about the NYX eyeshadow palettes that I bought, but this one will be looking at the NYX Professional Makeup Make-Up Artist Kit (S101):

So as you can see, this palette is very different from the Nude on Nude palette (review HERE); it's much bigger and is basically a full "kit"! The case is split into two sections; the top part slides out to the side and reveals another compartment underneath.

The top section consists of 36 eyeshadows, which are all various different colours, shades and finishes. There are quite a few colours that I personally wouldn't normally wear, like the bright blues, but the pinks can also be used as blushers. The colours range from whites and beiges, browns and blacks, to greens, blues and purples.



I've used a few of the beigey-browny shades a couple of times and the overall pigmentation is not bad. Again fallout is an issue; although these eyeshadows seem to be a lot softer and more "chalky" than those in the Nude on Nude palette, so this may be why the fallout is a little worse than the other palette.

As you can see on my palette, almost all of the shadows look perfect. Except for one. The golden-coloured eyeshadow broke so I had to repair it, and that's why it looks so flat compared with all the other big dome-shaped eyeshadows around it! But I will do a separate post on how I fixed it another time.

Once the top eyeshadow part is pulled out, you can see the deep bottom compartment. It contains 5 lipsticks (all shades of pinks and reds), 5 blushers (light pink, dark pink, light tan and deep tan colours), 2 bronzer duos and a sculpting powder and highlight (split in half with one half sculpting powder, the other half highlight and these are used for contouring the face), as well as a lip brush, a blush brush and 2 dual-ended sponge-tip eyeshadow applicators. These I never use because they're so useless! Especially the blush brush, which is so tiny! The lid of the case also has a built-in mirror. At first I thought the kit had two pink blushers, 2 bronzers and 3 sculpting powders plus highlight, but the NYX website says otherwise, as did the outer packaging of the palette. When I tested all the blushers, they were VERY pigmented; I had to blend using quite a bit of powder because I honestly looked like a clown! The bronzer duos aren't that great; they are quite pigmented and matte, but when I applied the very light duo, it was still quite dark (I ended up looking like I had a beard/shadow around my jawline, cheeks and chin, even after blending like crazy!) The highlight powder is quite useless. It's just a matte white powder that doesn't really highlight; I applied it to my cheekbones and the bridge of my nose, but it didn't make a difference. I think the bronzers and blushers would be more suited to darker skin tones; the only ones that looked acceptable on me was the pale pink blush and the light tan blush, which I had to apply with a very light hand, but I think it would look better when I'm tanned!


Overall, the kit is extensive and covers almost every colour eyeshadow shade for any type of look you could possibly think of, as well has having a variety of lipsticks, blushes and bronzers to complement any look and some different skin tones. The contouring powder and highlight was pretty much useless; the highlight did nothing, and the sculpting powder was very dark and quite red based so would only suit darker skin tones. This set RRPs at around £25 (I bought mine from TK MAXX for £12), but I wouldn't really recommend it for everyone. The eyeshadows and lipsticks are ok, however the rest of the bottom compartment is a waste! 

If I were to choose between this palette and the Nude on Nude palette, I would definitely choose the Nude on Nude because the colours were more versatile and could be used for all skin tones.



No comments :

Post a Comment