29 September 2012

NYX Eyeshadow Palettes (1/2)

Hey Everyone! :)

This post is really a "mini-review" about two products that I bought a while ago, but I never thought I would actually like them, although I didn't like one of the palettes so much. They are both eyeshadow palettes by NYX, but each one is unique and different in it's own way. I'll put each review in a separate post instead of having one super long post.

This first post will be for the smaller palette; the NYX Nude on Nude palette (S119):


As you can see from the pictures, it is quite compact and actually consists of two sections. The top section contains 20 eyeshadows with a mixture of matte and shimmer finishes and are all "nude" colours (whites, beiges, browns, greys and blacks). The bottom section slides out like a drawer and consists of 10 lipsticks ranging from pale, sheer pinks and nudes to bright, glossy reds. These lipsticks have been carefully chosen to complement the eyeshadows; so whatever look you choose to do for your eyes, there will be a lipstick that will complete your look perfectly! The palette also comes with two mini brushes; one lip brush and another sponge-tip applicator for the eyeshadows, but I never use them!



I have used the palette a few times already, and I have to say that I like it a lot (not as much as the Urban Decay Naked 1 & 2 palettes I have), but they are very good quality, especially as the set is very inexpensive! (RRP around £25; however, I bought mine from TK MAXX for £15). The eyeshadows are quite pigmented and apply very smoothly onto the lids. I always use Urban Decay's Primer Potion underneath to make sure my eye makeup lasts all day, although when I did forget to prime my lids one time and applied the eyeshadow directly instead, I found that they did crease slightly, but not as much as I expected; however the colours did fade quite a bit. This was after a full 8-hour day at work; but I HIGHLY recommend using a primer underneath to keep everything crease-free, stay perfect all day and make the colours more intense.The only downside is the fallout of the shadows when you're applying them to your lids. Not all of them do this, but I've found it to be more common with the slightly darker shades; although it is not that bad (I've used some eyeshadows where the fallout was SO bad, I had to redo my entire face!) Just be sure to tap off any excess shadow before applying.

With regards to the lipsticks, I haven't really used them as much. I did try them all out on  my lips when I first got the palette to see how they looked, and I was pleasantly surprised by the pigmentation of most of them, especially the red colour. When on the lips, most of the brighter colours appear glossy, but not too sticky; however, I don't think they will last very long throughout the day. Some of the paler pink shades didn't show up as much on my lips, but gave a nice shimmery effect, but again, they were more of a glossy consistency. There were a few that were creamy and I liked these better than the glossier ones; they didn't seem too "messy" (like they would slide of my lips) and they lasted longer on my lips.



One thing that made me feel like :D :D :D was a day or two after I bought this palette (after never even hearing about it or seeing it anywhere before), Camila Coelho (Makeup by Camila) posted a picture of it on her Instagram and on her blog! Well, I guess it's true; great minds really DO think alike!! (",)

Overall, I am happy with the palette and I do recommend it to anyone who is looking for an inexpensive but good eyeshadow palette.

And if it's good enough for Camila, it's good enough for me!




No comments :

Post a Comment