14 October 2012

Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation

This post is dedicated to a product that has become one of my favourites; the Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation!


I bought it solely based on the recommendation from a makeup blogger that I am (literally) OBSESSED with, and I see her as not just a blogger but also a very dear friend. She's TheMakeUpManual and you can view her blog HERE. PS; I buy pretty much EVERYTHING she recommends! (yes, I'm her stalker! >_<)


At first, I HATED this foundation but purely because the sales assistant at the Illamasqua counter matched me to a foundation 2 shades darker than I was... of course, in the store it looked perfect due to the amazingly bad lighting, but as soon as I got to my car I saw that I had a severe case of "Snooki" orange face!! So I immediately went back and asked a different sales assistant to get me a lighter colour, which she did and I was finally happy. 



















The foundation feels quite thick when you're applying it; however, it doesn't feel heavy once it has been blended in properly. You will only need a small amount for your whole face, due to the consistency and the fact that it provides full coverage. The best thing about it is that it actually has a built-in concealer, so it works very well to hide under-eye circles and blemishes; however, I still apply a concealer under my eyes to brighten the area up, but I skip the corrector underneath as I don't really need it with this foundation. Because of the built-in concealer, this product is perfect for days where you want to get ready quickly but still have full coverage all over. As you can see from the photos above, all fine lines on the back of my hand have been smoothed out and disappeared without even using a primer underneath! Even the blueness from my veins has gone!

The only downside I find to this foundation is the bottle. The shape is unique but I don't find it very practical; it can be difficult to squeeze the foundation out, especially if it is running out. With regards to the packaging, like all Illamasqua products, the name/number  and ingredients are printed on the back of the bottle and because they aren't lasered on, it will fade quickly (this happened to a blush I have, so I've had to stick my own label on it).  Also, you can see from the picture that the text on the front of the bottle (it said ILLAMASQUA and SKIN BASE originally) have completely rubbed off! However, Illamasqua are apparently aware of this problem and I have been told that they are looking to solve this issue in the near future.




Illamasqua products are available at Illamasqua counters worldwide in Debenhams and online (with international and UK shipping). RRP: £27



2 comments :

  1. I do like this foundation but I find it looks blotchy and patchy during the day unfortunately

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I found that it did that with me at first! I noticed that if you use a face scrub regularly to remove any dead skin and moisturise before applying the foundation it looks perfect and stays that way throughout the day! It does stick to dry patches on the skin (I have quite dry skin), but try it after using a scrub - your skin will look glowy and flawless!

      Xoxo,
      LaLa

      Delete